Shivapuri Nagarkot Dhulikhel Trek is an excellent short trek near Kathmandu valley. Shivapuri is the second-largest hill surrounding the Kathmandu valley and falls inside the Shivapuri National Park. However, being so close yet provides a glimpse of the remoteness and grandeur of the village life.
This trek offers the experience of the diverse landscape along with splendid mountain views. Furthermore, the natural grandeur, wilderness, and culturally rich village will provide you a lifetime experience. Moreover, the trail passes through dense forests, picturesque villages, and waterfalls. Therefore, this trek can be ideal for those with limited time and yet who wish to experience nature up close.
The trek starts with a short drive to Budanilkantha. Budanilkantha is about 12 km north of the city center. Next, we begin our hike at the army checkpoint. Eventually, the trek unfolds through Nagarkot, Dhulikhel, and ends at Panauti. For the most part, we can enjoy the panoramic view of the Himalayan range. That includes mountains such as Manaslu, Ganesh Himal, Langtang, Dorje Lakpa, and many more.
This trek is a good introduction to the Nepalese rural culture and lifestyle of the people surrounding the Kathmandu valley. This trek is suitable throughout the year as each season adds beauty and grandeur to this trek. The best month for this trek is from September to May. The viewpoint at Nagarkot offers a memorable experience of the magic of mountains.
- Remarkable mountain views of Langtang, Ganesh Himal, Manaslu, Rolwaling, and even Mt. Everest.
- Walkthrough Shivapuri National Park.
- Sunrise and Sunset views from Nagarkot.
- Learn more about the culture, tradition, and lifestyle of local people.
- Enjoy the incredible mountain view along with the Kathmandu valley.
Day 1: Arrival in Kathmandu
Upon arrival at the airport, meet and transfer to the hotel. In the afternoon, you have the option to stroll around Thamel and the local streets of Kathmandu. Welcome dinner in the evening with a typical Nepali cultural program. Overnight in Kathmandu.
Day 2: Hike to Shivapuri(2523m/4-5hrs)
Today we shall drive to Budhanilakantha (11km/30min). Budhanilakantha lies at the base of Shivapuri Hill. There is an immense statue of Lord Vishnu resting on a bed of snakes floating in the water. It is one of the masterpieces of stone sculpture of the Lichchhavi period from the 5th century. It is also a famous pilgrimage Hindu site. After a brief stop at Budhanilakantha, start our hike from Shivapuri, which will take about 4-5hrs. Overnight in a lodge.
Day 3: Shivapuri-Dhap(5-6hr)
The hike from Shivapuri Hill to Dhap goes through Chisapani. It takes about 5 hours. Today the walk is over a flat trail until Chisapani. The path goes through forests and small villages where you will get the opportunity to gain insight into the diverse flora and fauna, culture, heritage, and living style of local people. Overnight in Dhap.
Day 4: Dhap-Nagarkot(2175m/5hrs)
The hike to Nagarkot takes about 5hrs. The trail passes through Chuaki Bhangjyang. Nagarkot is popular among tourists for its sunrise and sunset view and spectacular views of the snow-capped mountains. Five of the world's ten highest peaks, Everest, Lhotse, Cho Oyu, Makalu, and Manaslu, are visible from Nagarkot. Overnight in Nagarkot.
Day 5: Nagarkot-Dhulikhel(1550m/6hrs)
The hike from Nagarkot to Dhulikhel takes approximately 6 hours. Dhulikhel lies at the Eastern rim of Kathmandu valley, at 1550m above sea level. The trail is easy and mostly downhill through forests past small villages with snowcapped peaks in the background. Enjoy the beautiful sunset in the evening. Overnight in Dhulikhel.
Day 6: Hike to Panauti(3hrs)-Drive to Kathmandu(1.5hrs)
In the morning, enjoy breakfast with a spectacular sunrise view. After breakfast, hike to Panuati, explore the ancient temples and monuments and drive to Kathmandu. Overnight in Kathmandu.
Day 7: Departure
Transfer to the airport for your departure flight.
- All transfers by private vehicle.
- Accommodation in 3-4* category hotels in Kathmandu, Nagarkot and Dhulikhel and village lodges in other locations.
- One welcome/farewell dinner in Kathmandu.
- English speaking local guide along with porter(one porter for every two members) during the trek.
- All necessary paper work and permits.
- All Government taxes and service charges.
- Nepal entry visa.
- International flight to and from Kathmandu.
- Lunch and dinner or any other meal not specified above.
- Personal Travel Medical Insurance.
- Personal expenses such as bar, beverages, tips and gratuities, laundry, telephone, battery recharge, etc.
- All other personal expenses not listed in the included section