The Gurung Heritage Trail is also popularly known as the Ghalegaon Trek. It is a newly discovered trekking route in the lower Annapurna region. This trek introduces the rich Gurung culture, tradition, and lifestyle with a unique blend of beautiful landscapes. The Gurung community of Nepal is of Mongolian Tibetan ethnicity. Also known as “Tamu” people, they reside in the western region of Nepal. Namely the districts of Kaski, Lamjung, Baglung, Gorkha, and Dhading. They have their own language, tradition, and culture.
This trek is the best way to experience the rich culture and lifestyle of the Gurung people. During this trek, you will have the opportunity to stay overnight with a Gurung family. Usually, these houses are typical and made of stone, mud, wood, and bricks. Besides, you will get a chance to interact with them and learn more about their history and culture. Along with the cultural experience, you will also get the opportunity to observe mountain views.
Our journey commences with a drive from Kathmandu to Besisahar. Next, the trail traverses through villages like Khudi, Ghalegaun, Ghanpokhara, Bhujung, Pashagaun, Pakhurikot, Begnas, and finally Pokhara. These villages are not only admired for their cultural understanding but also for spectacular mountain views. On the contrary, you will also see good views of Mt. Manaslu, Mt. Annapurna, Mt. Himal Chuli, and many other mountains.
Furthermore, the trail passes through terraced farmlands, forests, and rivers. Likewise, the evening at a Gurung house will be full of fun. Local delicacies, locally brewed alcohols, and traditional folk songs will revitalize the soul. Also, the main objective of this trek is to present you with heritages of the Gurung people. Tamang Heritage Trail is another beautiful trek on our list introducing the culture and heritage of the Tamang people.
- Observe the culture, tradition, and lifestyle of the local people.
- Visit the Largest Gurung village of Bhujung.
- Enjoy the spectacular views of Mt. Dhaulagiri, Mt. Annapurna, Mt. Manaslu, Lamjung Himal, and others.
- Explore Ghanpokhara village, known as the capital of Gurung culture.
- Take an excursion trip around Begnas Lake.
- Experience the diverse landscape and diverse flora and fauna.
- Enjoy the friendly Gurung people and their hospitality.
Day 1: Arrival in Kathmandu
Upon arrival at the Kathmandu airport, meet our representative and transfer to the hotel. In the afternoon, you will have the option to stroll around Thamel and the local tourist market. In the evening cultural show with dinner. Overnight in Kathmandu.
Day 2: Drive to Besisahar & Khudi(6-7 hrs)
After breakfast, we will take a scenic drive to Khudi via Besisahar. The road goes across beautiful countryside along the banks of the Trishuli river. Lunch at Besisahar, and after lunch, we will continue to Khudi. Overnight in Khudi.
Day 3: Khudi to Ghalegaon(2029m/3-4hr)
This morning, we shall explore around Khudi. Meet the local people and learn more about their culture, tradition, and living style. After that, we shall head towards Ghalegaon. It takes about 3-4 hrs to reach Ghalegoan. Overnight in Ghalegoan.
Day 4: Ghalegaon to Bhujung(1500m/3-4hr)
Begin your day with the beautiful sunrise over Mt. Manaslu and the Annapurna range. We will leave Ghalegoan and trek along the ridge, with a view of the countryside to Ghanpokhara. Ghanpokhara is another village inhabited by the Ghale people. After lunch at Ghanpokhara, we continue about two hours along the Midim river valley to Bhujung. Bhujung is a large village consisting of about 800 households. Explore around the village area or relax and enjoy the hospitality of your host. Overnight in Bhujung.
Day 5: Bhujung village to Pasgaun(1650m/4-5hr)
After breakfast, descend to Midim river and then hike through dense forests to Khumredanda. We will have lunch at Khumredanda. After lunch, we continue further to Pasgaun. Pasgaun offers views of villages dotted over the hillside. Overnight in Pasgaun.
Day 6: Pasgaun to Pakhurikot(1450m/4-5hr)
Leaving Pasgaun, we will descend to the beautiful Bagaincha village. It lies on the eastern bank of the Rudi Khola. We crossover the river and hike uphill past Rabi danda and Nagidhar to Pakhurikot. Overnight in Pakhurikot.
Day 7: Pakhurikot to Begnas(710m/4hr)
This morning, explore the village area and then continue our trek past several villages like Gahate, Thumsikot, and lush forest and arrive at Begnas. Overnight in Begnas.
This morning explore around the village and then continue our trek across several villages like Gahate, Thumsikot, and lush forest and arrive at Begnas village. Overnight in Begnas.
Day 8: Explore Begnas lake & Drive to Pokhara
We will explore around the lake and the surrounding area and then drive to Pokhara. Upon arrival, check into the hotel, and the rest of the evening is free to stroll around the Lakeside area.
Overnight in Pokhara.
Day 9: Drive to Kathmandu
After a relaxed breakfast, we shall continue our drive back to Kathmandu. Upon arrival, check into the hotel, and the rest of the evening is free to pursue your interest. Overnight in Kathmandu.
Day 10: Departure
Transfer to the airport in time for your departure flight homewards.
- All transfers by private vehicle.
- Accommodation in 3-4* category hotels in Kathmandu and Pokhara and local village lodges/homestays during the trek.
- Only breakfast during the stay in Kathmandu and Pokhara and all meals during the trek.
- English speaking local guide along with porter (one porter for every two member) during the trek.
- Guide, porter and trekking staff insurance.
- All necessary paper work and permit (ACAP/TIMS)
- All Government taxes and service charges.
- Nepal entry visa.
- International flight to and from Kathmandu.
- Lunch and dinner or any other meal not specified above.
- Personal Travel Medical Insurance recommended.
- Personal expenses such as bar, beverages, tips and gratuities, laundry, telephone, etc.
- Any extra cost forced upon by changing the itinerary due to natural forces, political situation or early return from the trek.
- All other personal expenses not listed in the included section.